Brahmand NewsPrevious Article
Brahmand NewsNext Article
Headlines

Defence ministers of India, China hold extensive talks

Line Spacing+- AFont Size+- Print This Article

Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman welcomes her Chinese counterpart General Wei Fenghe at South Block in New Delhi on Thursday, Aug 23, 2018. A PTI Photo

NEW DELHI (PTI): India and China have decided to work towards firming up a new bilateral pact on defence cooperation and agreed to increase interactions between their militaries at various levels to avoid Doklam-like standoffs and ensure peace and tranquillity along the disputed border.

In their talks, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and her Chinese counterpart Wei Fenghe also decided on early operationalisation of the proposed hotline between the two armies as part of the confidence building measures, the defence ministry said.

In the over two-hour meeting, the two sides primarily focused on implementing decisions taken at the Wuhan summit in April by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping which included enhancing strategic communication between the two armies.

"It was decided to expand the engagement between their armed forces relating to training, joint exercises and other professional interactions. Both sides also decided to work towards a new bilateral MoU on defence exchanges and cooperation to replace the MoU signed in 2006," the defence ministry said in a statement on Thursday.

It said Sitharaman and Wei deliberated on bilateral, regional and international issues in a "free, frank and constructive manner".

"It was agreed to work towards full implementation of ongoing confidence building measures as well as greater interactions at the working level to ensure the maintenance of peace and tranquillity, including early operationalisation of the hotline between the relevant departments of their armed forces," the ministry said.

Wei arrived here on Tuesday on a four-day visit with an aim to explore measures to build trust between the armies of the two countries which were engaged in a 73-day standoff in Doklam last year.

Doklam, in the Sikkim sector, is a strategically important area which is claimed by Bhutan. India has been acting as security guarantor to the tiny country in the sensitive region.

In the meeting, both sides agreed that the proposed hotline between the armies of the two countries should be operationalised soon. It was, however, not immediately known whether the two sides could resolve the issues which are delaying its operationalisation.

After the Wuhan summit, both sides revived the long-pending proposal to set up the hotline so as to avoid flare-ups along the disputed border. But, the initiative hit roadblocks over differences on issues relating to protocol and technical aspect of the hotline.

The Indian Army has been maintaining that the hotline should be between its Director General of Military Operations (DGMOs) and his equivalent official in Peoples Liberation Army (PLA). However, Beijing proposed that the deputy commander of its Chengdu-based Western Theatre Command would engage with the Indian DGMO.

The Indian Army is opposed to the Chinese proposal, insisting that an officer equivalent to Indian DGMO at PLA's headquarters should be deputed for the communication through the hotline.

Tags:

Line Spacing+- AFont Size+- Print Article

Other Related News

First night trial of Agni-III missile held

The first night trial of the nuclear capable Agni-III surface-to-surface ballistic missile was carried out from a mobile launcher at the Integrated Test Range at the APJ Abdul Kalam Island off Odisha coast on Saturday, Defence sources said.

Upcoming Defence Exhibitions

BRAHMOS Missile Systems

Headlines

Brahmand World Defence Update 2019

Image Gallery